subscribe to ourNewsletter
10 Incredible Small Kitchen Island Ideas You'll Want to Copy Immediately
While larger islands tend to get the most attention, there’s no denying that smaller islands are great for saving space and offering you tons of extra storage in your kitchen. But that doesn’t mean they can’t be stylish too! Here are 10 incredible small kitchen island ideas that you’ll want to copy immediately!
1) A kitchen island works wonders
If you're lucky enough to have the space for a kitchen island, then you know just how game-changing they can be. Not only do they add extra counter and storage space, but they also keep your kitchen feeling on-trend and stylish. If you're looking for small kitchen island ideas, then you've come to the right place!
2) Why do you need a kitchen island
- An island creates more counter space. If you have a small kitchen, you know that counter space is at a premium. Adding an island gives you more prep space for cooking and entertaining.
- It's a great way to add storage. A kitchen island can provide much-needed storage for things like pots and pans, bakeware, and small appliances.
- It's a place to eat. If you don't have enough room for a dining table, a kitchen island is a perfect solution.
- It provides extra seating. Whether you need extra seating for guests or for your kids, a kitchen island is a great option.
- It can be used as a workstation.
3) Make use of nooks and crannies
If you have a small kitchen, chances are you don't have a ton of extra space for a separate island. But that doesn't mean you can't have one! These 10 small kitchen ideas with islands are the perfect inspiration for making the most of your space. For example, if you're on a budget, consider adding shelves over your oven or refrigerator as an alternative. Or just use an open-shelf cabinet and make it a storage spot for pots and pans or cooking utensils. Another great idea is using decorative tile or sheet metal in front of your stovetop as an island - it's the perfect place to put down those hot baking sheets after they come out of the oven.
4) Add inserts to your island
If you're looking for small kitchen ideas with islands, you're in luck. We've gathered some of the best islands for small kitchen ideas to help you maximize your space. Plus, adding inserts from Lily Ann Cabinets to your island gives you more space for items like cookbooks, spices, and small appliances.
5) Don't forget about storage space
One of the most important things to consider when looking for small kitchen ideas with an island is storage space. You need to make sure you have enough room for all of your pots, pans, and other cooking supplies. Otherwise, you'll be stuck with a cramped kitchen. Another thing to keep in mind is the layout of your kitchen. If you have a small kitchen, you might not have the space for a traditional island. However, there are plenty of small kitchen island ideas that can help you make the most of your space. For example, you could get an island that doubles as a dining table or one that has built-in storage. No matter what your budget is, there's an island for small kitchen ideas that will work for you.
6) Choose the right shape for your space
When it comes to small kitchen island ideas, the sky's the limit—you can go as big or as small as your space allows. But if you're working with limited square footage, you'll want to think about the size of your island. A rectangular island is a great option for narrow spaces. If your kitchen is long and narrow, you can create more prep space by adding an L-shaped island. And if you have a square-shaped kitchen, you might want to consider a round island. No matter what shape you choose, make sure it's proportional to the rest of your kitchen. Lily Ann Cabinets offers a free 3D design done by professionals! Use their design tool to get an expert's opinion on how to fit an island in your small kitchen.
7) Add function with upholstery
When it comes to small kitchen island ideas, the function is key. Look for islands that have extra storage via shelving, drawers, or even upholstered seats. If your kitchen is really tight on space, consider a mobile island that can be moved around as needed. You can also use an island to create more counter space or as a place to enjoy meals with family and friends.
8) Go beyond basic surfaces
When it comes to small kitchen island ideas, think beyond basic surfaces and explore different ways to add function and style. Here are a few small kitchen island ideas that will make a big impact.
- Get creative with storage. If your kitchen is short on space, get creative with storage. Island for small kitchen ideas includes adding shelves or hooks to the end of your island for hanging pots and pans or storing cookbooks.
- Add a prep sink.
- Adding light-colored cabinets under your island will allow natural light and make your kitchen appear larger.
9) Incorporate color in unexpected ways
A small kitchen island can make a big impact on your kitchen. If you're looking to add a pop of color, try incorporating it into your island. You can paint the island different color than the rest of your cabinets or use colored countertops to make it stand out. Plus, adding color to your kitchen can help make it appear larger. If you're not sure what color to choose, try light natural wood or white kitchen cabinets! These colors will help make your kitchen feel more open and airy.
10) Keep it simple, clean, and classic
A kitchen island should take your small kitchen to the next level by adding storage and extra space. Remember that your island can be simple and does not need to break the bank. If your kitchen allows, add the island next to your existing cabinets to create an “L shape.”
The biggest takeaways:
- Keep it simple. A small kitchen island doesn't need to be overly complicated. Stick with clean lines and classic design elements like shaker cabinets and granite countertops.
- Make it multifunctional. If your kitchen is short on space, consider making your island a multi-purpose piece of furniture.
- Unsure what’s best for your space? Contact Lily Ann Cabinets for a quick phone call or free 3d design to get their professional opinion.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ)
How to make a small kitchen island?
If you have a small kitchen, you can choose many different options for an island such as cabinets or shelves. The relative size for a small kitchen island would be 40 by 40 inches.
Can a small kitchen have an island?
You can always make an island work in a small kitchen. Whether it be a small table or a few cabinets, you can design it for extra space or an eating area instead of having a dinner table.
How to fit an island in a small kitchen?
Based on the size of your kitchen you may want to opt for different styles of islands such as an L-shaped island or a small center island which wouldn’t take up a lot of floor space.
How much does a small kitchen island cost?
The average cost of a kitchen island would be between $3,000 and $5,000. Although, with smaller islands, it may be closer to $100-$2,000 which has fewer features.
How to build a small kitchen island with seating?
Building a small kitchen island with seating may help to ease up space in your kitchen instead of having a table for seating. Create enough space for seats on one side of your island with an extra countertop area on the end with the seating.
How to decorate a small kitchen island?
If you have less space on your countertops, using the kitchen island for extra items such as greenery or other appliances may ease up the area on your countertops. Keeping the space on your counters open will allow your kitchen to feel larger. Getting inserts for your cabinets can also help with space!